Evidence based practice (EBP) has become a buzzword in medicine. According to the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), “Health care decisions are increasingly being made on research-based evidence rather than on expert opinion or clinical experience alone.” Yet, evidence-based medicine is still a completely unfamiliar concept to some clinicians. For both groups, this course provides insight into the foundations of EBP, enhancing the clinician’s ability to develop clinical questions, to search for and interpret evidence based research, to critically appraise the research, and to apply it to their clinical practice.
This course enables clinicians to learn about the scientific basis for health management, to make informed decisions regarding patient care, and to improve their patients’ outcomes. Diverse topics are discussed to provide appropriate instruction to clinicians of all levels, regardless of their current level or experience with EBP. As clinicians gain a deeper understanding of EBP, they will appreciate the benefits it holds when integrated into clinical practice.
This Seminar-on-Demand is 2 contact hours in length (check your state’s approval status in the state specific course catalog for your profession).
|Contact Hours: 2||Video||Target Audience: ATC/LAT, LVN/LPN, MT/LMT, NHA, NP, PT/PTA, RN, RT, SW|
|Instructional Level: Intermediate|
- Steps of Evidence Based Practice for the Researcher
- Ethics in Research
- Research Terms
- Types of Evidence
- Types of Bias
- Ranking Evidence on Quality, Level and Grades
- Critically Appraising Research Through Validity, Reliability and Applicability
- Barriers to Application
- Steps of Evidence Based Practice for the Health Professional
- Developing Clinical Questions
- Searching for Evidence Based Guidelines
- Factors to Decision-Making
- Patient-Centered Outcomes
- Implementing EBP with Teams
- Evaluating Outcomes
Goals & Objectives
This course is intended to instruct the professional on applying research to practice.
At the conclusion of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Identify types of research studies.
- Recognize bias in research.
- Identify the quality, levels and grades of evidence based research.
- Apply critical appraisal of research through validity, reliability and applicability.
- Recognize how to efficiently ask clinical questions and obtain current and reliable evidence based research to answer these questions.
Criteria for Completion:
A score of 70% or more is considered passing. Scores of less than 70% indicate a failure to understand the material and the test will need to be taken again until a passing score has been achieved.
Contact Hours: 2
Target Audience: Physical Therapists, Physical Therapist Assistants, Occupational Therapists, Occupational Therapist Assistants, Massage Therapists, Athletic Trainers, Nursing Home Admins, Registered Nurses, Respiratory Therapists, Social Workers.
Instructional Level: Beginner
BOC Level of Difficulty: Essential
Course Type: Seminar-On-Demand
The course materials for this Seminar-On-Demand are available instantly in our online format.
- Financial – Jami Cooley is employed by HomeCEUConnection.com and receives a salary. She receives royalty payments from HomeCEUConnection.com for the presentation of this course.
- Nonfinancial – No relevant nonfinancial relationship exists.
- No relevant conflicts of interest exist for any member of the activity planning committee.
Content Disclosure: This course does not focus solely on any specific product or service.